[OS X TeX] No messages in TeXShop console
Stephen Anderson
2018-11-30 20:22:08 UTC
Since upgrading to TexShop 4.17/MacOS 10.14.1 on my MBP-retina, I notice that messages no longer show up in the TeXShop console when I run LaTeX on a document. I have the document open (not for editing, since I use AquaMacs for that), and click on the Typeset or BibTeX buttons; focus shifts to the document console window and the program in question runs; the console window scrolls down but nothing appears in it. Then focus returns to the typeset document window, but there are no messages to show what happened (including any errors that may have occurred). What’s up?
--
Steve Anderson

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Themis Matsoukas
2018-11-30 21:10:42 UTC
I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.

OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-30 21:33:09 UTC
Post by Themis Matsoukas
I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.
OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.
Themis
Howdy,

The Console output has never been the complete Log which contains much more information. Am I misinterpreting you?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Themis Matsoukas
2018-11-30 23:15:11 UTC
Herb,

I was imprecise. Normally, the last line on the console is "Transcript written on file.log." Sometimes, however (like just now) the console stops early, in this case after printing

(/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/revtex/revsymb4-1.sty

Nothing else was printed on the console after this, even though typesetting went through without errors.

Themis
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-30 23:20:24 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Themis Matsoukas
I don't see what you describe but I often see a related problem: the console prints but then stops without printing the entire log. The document typesets properly. I have seen this behavior repeatedly, but it is intermittent and cannot reproduce it at will.
OS 10.14.1 + TS 4.17 + 13 inch MBP retina.
Themis
Howdy,
The Console output has never been the complete Log which contains much more information. Am I misinterpreting you?
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,

That's interesting. I've had a few rare cases where it appears that the input to the console crashes and processing stops. If I clean up and start over it goes through. This is all under Mojave.

How do you know the process completed? Does the pdf actually update?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Themis Matsoukas
2018-12-01 00:08:42 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
How do you know the process completed? Does the pdf actually update?
Yes, the pdf gets updated as far as I can tell. I’ll have to watch this more carefully next time.

Themis
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-30 23:53:21 UTC
This happens to me frequently as well.

==Tamer

Sent from my mobile, excuse the brevity and typos.
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Gray, Gary L

Herbert Schulz
2018-11-30 21:31:32 UTC
Post by Stephen Anderson
Since upgrading to TexShop 4.17/MacOS 10.14.1 on my MBP-retina, I notice that messages no longer show up in the TeXShop console when I run LaTeX on a document. I have the document open (not for editing, since I use AquaMacs for that), and click on the Typeset or BibTeX buttons; focus shifts to the document console window and the program in question runs; the console window scrolls down but nothing appears in it. Then focus returns to the typeset document window, but there are no messages to show what happened (including any errors that may have occurred). What’s up?
--
Steve Anderson
Howdy,

Are you using Dark Mode or Light Mode? Take a look at the Log section in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. Make sure the Text color and Background color are set so you can see the text against the background.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/