[OS X TeX] TexShop macro problems on Mojave
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 15:45:10 UTC
I have done a clean install of MacTeX and TeXShop on a new machine running Mojave. Everything is updated to its latest version (TeXShop 4.16). I am having problems with the macros:

- I tried OpenSelection (Cmd-opt-o) and nothing happens — The Macros menu title flashes, but that is it.
- I tried the Insert Reference (Shift-cmd-R) and I get the message "TexShop Applescript error Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder” — for this I went to the Privacy tab on System Preferences and added TeXShop for full disk access as was suggested on some web site, but that did not do the trick.
- I tried Insert Index and that worked.

Any reason why some are not working? I appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

==Tamer

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 16:02:42 UTC
Post by M. Tamer Özsu
- I tried OpenSelection (Cmd-opt-o) and nothing happens — The Macros menu title flashes, but that is it.
- I tried the Insert Reference (Shift-cmd-R) and I get the message "TexShop Applescript error Not authorized to send Apple events to Finder” — for this I went to the Privacy tab on System Preferences and added TeXShop for full disk access as was suggested on some web site, but that did not do the trick.
- I tried Insert Index and that worked.
Any reason why some are not working? I appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
==Tamer
Howdy,

Mojave introduced extra security for executing AppleScript, etc. Were you asked for permission to use Finder and/or System Events.app when you first ran the macros? If so, what did you respond?

Take a look at the Automation item under the Privacy Tab of System Preferences->Security & Privacy. TeXShop.app should appear there with one or more checked items under it (e.g., System Events.app and/or Finder). Does TeXShop.app appear there? If so, are there items under it that have check boxes? If so, are they checked?

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 16:11:50 UTC
Thank you Herb. No, I wasn’t asked — it just either went silent or gave me this error. There is no TeXShop.app under Automation and there doesn’t seem to be any way to add it.

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Gray, Gary L
2018-11-20 16:24:02 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Take a look at the Automation item under the Privacy Tab of System Preferences->Security & Privacy. TeXShop.app should appear there with one or more checked items under it (e.g., System Events.app and/or Finder). Does TeXShop.app appear there? If so, are there items under it that have check boxes? If so, are they checked?
Herb,

TeXShop does not appear there on my machine, but I do see a Script Menu entry and under it, System Events.app is checked.

Gary
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 16:26:06 UTC
Question is how to get Script Menu there. Also, I am assuming you do not have the problem I have?

Thanks Gary.

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Gray, Gary L
2018-11-20 16:32:30 UTC
Post by M. Tamer Özsu
Question is how to get Script Menu there.
I do not know. There is a Script Menu.app in /System/Library/CoreServices, you might try launching it to see if it gets added.
Post by M. Tamer Özsu
Also, I am assuming you do not have the problem I have?
That is correct, I am not.

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 16:37:09 UTC
Post by Gray, Gary L
Take a look at the Automation item under the Privacy Tab of System Preferences->Security & Privacy. TeXShop.app should appear there with one or more checked items under it (e.g., System Events.app and/or Finder). Does TeXShop.app appear there? If so, are there items under it that have check boxes? If so, are they checked?
Herb,
TeXShop does not appear there on my machine, but I do see a Script Menu entry and under it, System Events.app is checked.
Gary
Howdy,

Script Menu? Each application that allows scripting should ask the first time a script using Finder or System Events to allow it's use. I've got quite a few applications with check boxes below them, on the list on my system.

First, I believe it is buggy; hence not getting asked about it. Second, at least at this time, there doesn't seem to be a way to reset it except to completely delete the database and have to reconstruct it one app at a time.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 16:40:08 UTC
Herb,

How do you delete this database?

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 16:42:12 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Gray, Gary L
[...]

Let me add that you should read <https://bitsplitting.org/2018/07/11/reauthorizing-automation-in-mojave/> for more about removing the database and starting over.

Hopefully that will change over time.

Complain to Apple!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 16:55:25 UTC
Well, thanks Herb, but complaining to apple will not solve my short-term problems. I will try

tccutil reset AppleEvents

to see if it will reset things, but I somehow doubt it. My problem seems to be rooted in the fact that I was never asked for permission to allow access — reading quickly on the web, it appears others have had this problem. Perhaps when you upgrade to Mojave and you already have TeXShop installed, this is not a problem (my laptop works fine) but when it is a clean install something is fishy.

==Tamer
Post by Herbert Schulz
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 16:57:56 UTC
Just a follow-up: when I ran the reset, I was asked by Default Folder whether I want to allow access. However, when I restarted TeXShop, I am never asked. So, this seems to be a problem.

==Tamer
Post by Herbert Schulz
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 22:10:39 UTC
Howdy,

The message should appear when you try to run an AppleScript macro for the first time not when you start up TeXShop. Other apps may run scripts at startup.

Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
Post by Herbert Schulz
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 17:02:11 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Gray, Gary L
[...]

When you first run one of those macros that requires access to Apple Events or Finder, etc., you are supposed to be asked if that's ok. ALWAYS say it's ok since you will NOT be asked again! The buggy part is that you aren't always asked.

After clearing the database you should again be asked when you first attempt to run the macro.

PS: are the macros you are trying to run set as `Applescript direct'?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 17:10:43 UTC
The problem is that I am not asked. I completely uninstalled TeXShop thinking that it may have some corrupted aspects. Did a clean install (lost some of the macros) and just tried the vanilla Open Quickly macro and it says TeXShop is not authorized to send Apple Events to Finder. I tried AppleScript “View PDF with Acrobat” — that worked but did not ask me for authorization either.

==Tamer
Post by Herbert Schulz
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Richard Koch
2018-11-20 17:15:40 UTC
Folks,

It is "just barely possible" that something I did at the very end before releasing 4.16 broke TeXShop's ability to ask permission before running applescripts with security concerns. If so, it is now fixed. Download 4.16 again to see. No other changes.

Dick Koch
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 18:46:24 UTC
I was hoping that might be it Dick, but a re-download and re-installation did not resolve it. I am still not asked and when I try Open Quickly, I get the same error that it is not allowed to send Apple Events to Finder. When I try Insert Reference, it works properly. Don’t know any more...

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 18:51:14 UTC
Post by Richard Koch
Folks,
It is "just barely possible" that something I did at the very end before releasing 4.16 broke TeXShop's ability to ask permission before running applescripts with security concerns. If so, it is now fixed. Download 4.16 again to see. No other changes.
Dick Koch
Howdy,

Now that you have the updated TeXshop 4.16 try deleting the database again and starting over.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 19:00:41 UTC
I did that twice already Herb. Other programs ask for permission, but TeXShop never does.

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 20:09:29 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Howdy,
Now that you have the updated TeXshop 4.16 try deleting the database again and starting over.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,

Sorry to be a nag.

Add the enclosed macro to the Macro Menu.

To use it open a Source file and select the argument of a \usepackage command (it works with some other commands too) and run the macro. It should automatically open the .sty file noted in the command. I believe it should force the question but let's see. (PS: the command shortcut is tied to (Opt-Cmd-O).)
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-20 22:33:28 UTC
Hi Herb,

Thanks very much for this. I will try this out tomorrow when I get to the office. I was prepared to reinstall everything by cloning from the laptop, but perhaps this will resolve it.

==Tamer
Post by Herbert Schulz
Howdy,
Now that you have the updated TeXshop 4.16 try deleting the database again and starting over.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,
Sorry to be a nag.
Add the enclosed macro to the Macro Menu.
To use it open a Source file and select the argument of a \usepackage command (it works with some other commands too) and run the macro. It should automatically open the .sty file noted in the command. I believe it should force the question but let's see. (PS: the command shortcut is tied to (Opt-Cmd-O).)
<OpenSelection.plist>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-21 14:16:12 UTC
Hi Herb,

Here is the report. I important this macro and it works as expected. However, it did not trigger a request for access as expected and TeXShop is nowhere to be found in the Privacy under Automation tab — other applications are. Most of the macros seem to be working. I think I can work with this now, but it is strange that no permission question was raised.

Many thanks for the help.

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 14:23:53 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Howdy,
Now that you have the updated TeXshop 4.16 try deleting the database again and starting over.
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,
Sorry to be a nag.
Add the enclosed macro to the Macro Menu.
To use it open a Source file and select the argument of a \usepackage command (it works with some other commands too) and run the macro. It should automatically open the .sty file noted in the command. I believe it should force the question but let's see. (PS: the command shortcut is tied to (Opt-Cmd-O).)
<OpenSelection.plist>
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,

Hmmm... I'll have to examine the macro. I thought it used some external references but maybe Micheal Sharpe was able to remove them so there wasn't a problem. Applescript is NOT a Natural Language as far as I'm concerned.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
M. Tamer Özsu
2018-11-21 14:26:46 UTC
Thanks Herb. Just to close the loop:

- On my MacBook Pro where I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, TeXShop is under the Automation tab in Privacy.
- On my new MacMini which came with Mojave and I did a clean install of everything, it is not.

Weird indeed.

==Tamer
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Richard Koch
2018-11-21 15:30:15 UTC
Folks,

Yesterday I was involved in other matters and just skimmed this thread.

Maybe I can help and maybe not (to paraphrase the President). TeXShop has two ways to run Apple scripts. It can run them directly from TeXShop and it can run them from a second (internal) app called ScriptRunner.

To modernize applescript for Mojave, an extra item needs to be added to the program's Info.plist. This item is a string which will be placed in the dialog asking for permission to do security-related applescript tasks.

This item has been in TeXShop's Info.plist since version 4.08. However, it is NOT in Script Runner's Info.plist. I just fixed this in the sources, but the fix is not in 4.17. So on Mojave, an Applescript which uses ScriptRunner might run into trouble.

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 18:19:06 UTC
Post by Richard Koch
Folks,
Yesterday I was involved in other matters and just skimmed this thread.
Maybe I can help and maybe not (to paraphrase the President). TeXShop has two ways to run Apple scripts. It can run them directly from TeXShop and it can run them from a second (internal) app called ScriptRunner.
To modernize applescript for Mojave, an extra item needs to be added to the program's Info.plist. This item is a string which will be placed in the dialog asking for permission to do security-related applescript tasks.
This item has been in TeXShop's Info.plist since version 4.08. However, it is NOT in Script Runner's Info.plist. I just fixed this in the sources, but the fix is not in 4.17. So on Mojave, an Applescript which uses ScriptRunner might run into trouble.
Dick Koch
Howdy,

I believe you can determine if a script needs ScriptRunner or not by looking at the first line of the script. If it says

-- applescript

it needs ScriptRunner and if it says

-- applescript direct

it shouldn't require ScriptRunner. I think I've gotten that right.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/