[OS X TeX] Placement of files
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
2018-10-01 15:21:47 UTC
I am, even after many years and several changes of computers and TeXShop installations, still confused about where to put things.

Here is my immediate problem:
I have a folder, called “Book(update 2018) which has the text files for a book; among the .tex file is also a folder called Bookmacros(2018) in which I have the user-defined macros I use in this book.This is an update of a book already submitted and in fact under production at the publisher, but I wanted an up-to-date corrected version, which is the intention of this folder. In the master tex file (which calls all the others) I have the command
\usepackage{Bookmacros(2018)/formatstyle} pointing to the macro file inside the Bookmacros(2018) folder that governs some formatting issues.
It is clear to me that this file is not being accessed (but some other version elsewhere on my computer is) because when I compile the masterful
i get an error message about an undefined control sequence referring to a macro that I have triple-checked is correctly defined in the format macros.sty file inside this folder.

Can someone clarify how TeX searches for .sty files (and other macro files).
I recall that there is a central place where such files can be put to always be accessible to .tex files anywhere on the computer, and would like to be reminded of this, but also here I am concerned with overriding any obsolete versions of this file that may have been left lying around. Am I using the wrong format to point into this subfolder?

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
my office (617) 627-3843
dept. off. (617) 627-3234
dept. fax (617) 627-3966

http://sites.tufts.edu/znitecki/
Murray Eisenberg
2018-10-01 15:49:31 UTC
My understanding is that a .sty file may be anywhere if you provide an explicit path to it relative to the location of the .tex source that loads it.

I’m using the same kind of file configuration, also for a book. The main file, let’s call it NewBook.tex, which inputs (actually, includes) all the other content files is in a folder ~/Documents/Publications/NewBook. (For the sake of clarity, in this message I’ve changed the actual folder and file names).

Most of my own custom .sty packages are in a subfolder ~/Documents/Publications/NewBook/preamble. (A few, common to many projects, are in the local texmf tree.) One of them is mystyle.sty. This is loaded in NewBook.tex by:

\usepackage{preamble/mystyle}

This works just fine.

Actually, I’ve made things more complicated than that, because I have a great many customizations, which I’ve chunked into a bunch of separate custom .sty files. The main file NewBook.tex has the command

\input{preamble/preamble}

and in subfolder preamble I have a file preamble.tex that contains the actual loading of those custom style files, e.g.:

\usepackage{preamble/style}
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
[...]
http://sites.tufts.edu/znitecki/ <http://sites.tufts.edu/znitecki/>
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
---
Murray Eisenberg ***@gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101 Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667 Mobile (413)-427-5334
Herbert Schulz
2018-10-01 16:35:15 UTC
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
\usepackage{Bookmacros(2018)/formatstyle} pointing to the macro file inside the Bo
Howdy,

I wonder if there is a problem with using parentheses in the file name. Try removing them form the directory name.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Ettore Aldrovandi
2018-10-01 18:58:26 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
\usepackage{Bookmacros(2018)/formatstyle} pointing to the macro file inside the Bo
Howdy,
I wonder if there is a problem with using parentheses in the file name. Try removing them form the directory name.
I get no error from a minimal test case with parentheses in the dirname:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{dir(2018)/preamble}
\begin{document}
\test
\end{document}

and dir(2018)/preamble.sty contains the single line

\newcommand{\test}{Text from subdir with parentheses}

I’m a bit surprised that it works.

—Ettore

Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
1017 Academic Way * http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA * * aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu
Murray Eisenberg
2018-10-01 19:01:46 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
\usepackage{Bookmacros(2018)/formatstyle} pointing to the macro file inside the Bo
Howdy,
I wonder if there is a problem with using parentheses in the file name. Try removing them form the directory name.
I had already tried a minimal example with parentheses in the folder names, like Ettore’s example, and also with no trouble.

---

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
List Info: ht
Michael Sharpe
2018-10-01 20:32:30 UTC
[...]
I'm trying to understand exactly what you did here. The line

\usepackage{Bookmacros(2018)/formatstyle}

tells LaTeX to load the file formatstyle.sty in the subfolder Bookmacros(2018) of the current folder. When you say this points to a macro file macros.sty in that subfolder, do you mean that formatstyle.sty contains a \RequirePackage{macros} or a \usepackage{macros} or an \input{macros.sty}? If so, they would not be found unless you also included the path to them, as the search path for included files has at the top the current folder, and then goes through the tex/latex subfolders of your home texmf folders (typically, just ~/Library/texmf) before searching in texmf-local and, then the system owned texmf folders.

If I'm misunderstanding your setup, here's another approach. Copy your preamble to a new tex file, testA.tex, in the same folder as your master tex file, and make a trivial body, so the end testA.tex would look like

\begin{document}
\end{document}

Prepend the line

% !TEX TS-program = pdflatexmk

and erase all line from the preamble (typically, those that load pstricks packages) that cannot run under pdflatex.

Typeset the document and you should get a document named testA.fls which shows you the full path every file used in the processing.

Michael
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
2018-10-18 16:53:36 UTC
After getting several responses to the email below, and being slow to work thorough them, I recalled (prompted by one email) that the right depository
for these files is in ~Library/Texmf/Tex/latex. So I copied the files I had in the subfolder of the one called Book(update2018) into the above named file (the fact that one has to go into contortions—i.e., use option when you try to “Go”—seems like an unnecessary cruelty on the part of Apple, but
)
and tried to run my master file. I get the euror “file shellacs.sty not found”

I have no idea how to chase down the source of this mysterious problem. Any suggestions?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-10-18 17:41:22 UTC
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
[...]

It should be ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex and notice the lower case Ts. Also, ~/Library is the Library folder in your HOME folder, NOT the one in the root of your hard drive which is called /Library (no ~). To open that ~/Library folder in Finder hold down the Opt key and click on the Go menu to see an item to open that Library.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-10-18 17:47:00 UTC
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
[...]

One more thing... You can easily make ~/Library permanently visible in your HOME folder. Open your HOME folder (Shft-Cmd-H in Finder). Then open View->Show View Options (Cmd-J). Check the `Show Library Folder' box and then close the View Options window. Tada... that Library folder is now permanently visible.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
2018-10-18 21:30:38 UTC
Thanks. That is useful information.

I haven’t had time to work further on the problem I posted, and I suspect it is made more difficult by the fact (or is it true?) that the Library folder is not shared in the iCloud synchronization between my office computer and my home computer.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office (617)627-3843
Dept. (617)627-3234
Dept. fax (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Oct 18, 2018, at 13:47, Herbert Schulz <***@wideopenwest.com<mailto:***@wideopenwest.com>> wrote:

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
2018-10-19 13:25:16 UTC
Herb:

1. The directions you gave for making the Library folder visible don’t work for me (I am using OS 10.11.6). After closing the window, the drop down menu for “Go” still doesn’t show Library.

2. More important (for me), I changed the upper case to lower case in the file names “texmf” and “tex”. However, I am still getting the weird error message which shows up in the screen shot below:
[cid:A3C55C77-3031-428F-8DED-***@tufts.edu]

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-10-19 13:45:38 UTC
1. The directions you gave for making the Library folder visible don’t work for me (I am using OS 10.11.6). After closing the window, the drop down menu for “Go” still doesn’t show Library.
<Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 9.17.40 AM.png>
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
[...]

1: It will NOT show up in the Go menu but will be visible in your HOME folder. So open your HOME folder (Shft-Cmd-H in Finder) and you can simply double-click it to open.

2: Note that you don't actually load shellesc.sty so one of your special packages, e.g., mymathmacros(?), must try to load it. I'd guess it's NOT one of the packages you placed in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex since it's part of recent TeX Live distributions installed by MacTeX. Please run the command

kpsewhich shellesc/sty

in the Terminal application and let me know what it returns. Also, how old is the TeX distribution on your system?

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
2018-10-19 15:39:32 UTC
On (1), thanks , now I understand.

On (2), it returns “\RequirePackage{\***@ColorPackage}
I am using TeCShop Version 3.87

On Oct 18, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Herbert Schulz <***@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-10-19 15:57:48 UTC
Post by Nitecki, Zbigniew H.
On (1), thanks , now I understand.
I am using TeCShop Version 3.87
Howdy,

I think you misunderstood item 2. You need to open the Terminal application which is in the Utilities folder (Shft-Cmd-U in Finder). Then type the line

kpsewhich shellesc.sty

in the Terminal window and press return (you can Copy/Paste it from the email if you wish). It should return a line like

/usr/local/texlive/2018/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tools/shellesc.sty

if it is found, otherwise nothing (and a new prompt for a command will come up).

I'm trying to determine is you actually are missing the file.

One more thing... let me know what the Path setting for (pdf)TeX is in the Engine tab of TeXShop->Preferences menu item.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Nitecki, Zbigniew H.

Herbert Schulz
2018-10-22 18:40:52 UTC
The screen shot below should have all that information. Sorry for the slow response—I was travellinng this weekend.
<Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 1.33.55 PM.png>
Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155
my office (617) 627-3843
dept. off. (617) 627-3234
dept. fax (617) 627-3966
http://sites.tufts.edu/znitecki/
Howdy,

Well, from what you show in that screen shot you don't have shellesc.sty. You do have an old version of TeX Live that doesn't have shellesc.sty but you've updated to a newer version of pstricks which wants to use it. I would suggest removing the updated pstricks package you have in your personal tree and try again. If that fails I'd suggest you then install MacTeX 2018 and then run TeX Live Utility so it can update all the updates that have happened since MacTeX 2018 was released. Remove all but your personal packages from your personal texmf tree.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/