[OS X TeX] Problem with Find All (TS Version 4.16)
Themis Matsoukas
2018-11-20 13:33:20 UTC
I am experiencing a problem with Find All (OgreKit):

1. I searched a document for all occurrences of a string
2. Used cmd+G to go to the next spot on the source file

At this point if I start editing, the edits don't show in the source. The cursor doesn't respond to typing, some syntax coloring changes as I type, but the edits are not visible. The edits are there the next time you open the file, but this blind typing tends to produce nonsensical input. The problem persists after relaunching TS and after restarting the computer.

Themis

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 14:29:24 UTC
Post by Themis Matsoukas
1. I searched a document for all occurrences of a string
2. Used cmd+G to go to the next spot on the source file
At this point if I start editing, the edits don't show in the source. The cursor doesn't respond to typing, some syntax coloring changes as I type, but the edits are not visible. The edits are there the next time you open the file, but this blind typing tends to produce nonsensical input. The problem persists after relaunching TS and after restarting the computer.
Themis
Howdy,

Sigh... I can confirm this behavior.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 14:45:15 UTC
Post by Themis Matsoukas
1. I searched a document for all occurrences of a string
2. Used cmd+G to go to the next spot on the source file
At this point if I start editing, the edits don't show in the source. The cursor doesn't respond to typing, some syntax coloring changes as I type, but the edits are not visible. The edits are there the next time you open the file, but this blind typing tends to produce nonsensical input. The problem persists after relaunching TS and after restarting the computer.
Themis
Howdy,

Actually, I'm not sure about what you did that precipitated the problem?

Did you use Find All in the Ogrekit panel? If so did a window show up with all the matches? To select the match you wish click on the one you want in that window and it will get selected in the Source window.

If you just did a Find and then used Cmd-G to jump to the next match (without having the Find All window open) I don't confirm the problem.

I confirm the problem if I do a Find All then select the Source Window and do a Cmd-G.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Themis Matsoukas
2018-11-20 14:56:02 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Howdy,
Actually, I'm not sure about what you did that precipitated the problem?
Did you use Find All in the Ogrekit panel? If so did a window show up with all the matches? To select the match you wish click on the one you want in that window and it will get selected in the Source window.
If you just did a Find and then used Cmd-G to jump to the next match (without having the Find All window open) I don't confirm the problem.
I confirm the problem if I do a Find All then select the Source Window and do a Cmd-G.
As you say, what precipitates the problem is the combination Find All then select the Source Window and do a Cmd-G.

if you do a straight find followed by cmd+G, or if you use the panel in OgreKit to select, everything works fine. Which is to say, there is a workaround until the problem is fixed.

Themis

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 15:11:08 UTC
Post by Themis Matsoukas
if you do a straight find followed by cmd+G, or if you use the panel in OgreKit to select, everything works fine. Which is to say, there is a workaround until the problem is fixed.
Howdy,

I'm seeing the problem even if I do a Find All, select in the Find All window and switch to the Source window (by clicking on it). I think one should avoid Find All for now.

There certainly seems to be a problem with the new Ogrekit but there have been quite a few re-writes to update it so...

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-20 15:07:14 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Themis Matsoukas
[...]

Sigh... I was wrong... more details...

I open a Source file. I open the Ogrekit Find Panel and look for a common word, in my case "and", and press Find All. A new window opens with all the found items in a bit of context. I click on any of the items and the corresponding item is selected in the Source window (it's dimmed out since the Source window isn't active). I switch to the Source window (i.e., click in it) and try to type and it acts as though I typed; i.e., the cursor is stationary but highlights move ahead as though text is being entered in the Source window.

For now don't use Find All! You can just do a Find and go to the next item using Cmd-G and that seems to work fine.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Richard Koch
2018-11-20 15:52:25 UTC
Folks,

I am ignoring all OgreKit problems; such problems should be reported directly to the author.

Dick Koch
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/