[OS X TeX] Changing hIghlighting color in TexShop 2.47
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 16:42:31 UTC
Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.

When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.

I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.

I haven't been able to find where I could do that.

I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.

I would very much appreciate any help.

--schremmer
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 18:28:59 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.
When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.
Howdy,

I believe the ``color'' of the highlight depends upon whether the window is active or not; grey when inactive turning to yellow when active.
Post by Schremmer Alain
I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.
I haven't been able to find where I could do that.
I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.
I would very much appreciate any help.
--schremmer
I think those colors are fixed. Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 20:04:22 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Schremmer Alain
Yes, TexShop 2.47 is an antique but so am I and my vision is failing.
When I apple click on something in the pdf, TexShop very obligingly highlight the corresponding code in the source. (Sometimes in grey, sometimes in yellow.) My problem is that when the pdf window is large, I can't see the highlighting. For that I have to shrink the window.
Howdy,
I believe the ``color'' of the highlight depends upon whether the window is active or not; grey when inactive turning to yellow when active.
So I learned something today.
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Schremmer Alain
I would like to change both colors to something more vivid that I would see well enough without having to shrink the window.
I haven't been able to find where I could do that.
I looked around but I don't think even Schulz's TeXShop Tips & Tricks (v0.2.3–2011/01/07) mentions it.
I would very much appreciate any help.
--schremmer
I think those colors are fixed.
I had this feeling.
Post by Herbert Schulz
Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).
Unfortunately, my OS (10.6.8) is as old as my TeXshop: they are made for each other and for me. (And, as I said, I have a workaround.)

Best,
--schremmer
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 20:08:40 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
Post by Herbert Schulz
Recent versions of TeXShop have allowed you to adjust colors of virtually everything in the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. You might try to use 4.17 if your OS version is new enough (10.10/Yosemite or later).
Unfortunately, my OS (10.6.8) is as old as my TeXshop: they are made for each other and for me. (And, as I said, I have a workaround.)
Best,
--schremmer
Howdy,

I know you lagged behind a bit. :-) That's why I added the macOS precaution.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 20:27:03 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)
Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS! (Turning 82 tomorrow.) :-))

Best
--schremmer

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 21:16:59 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
Post by Herbert Schulz
I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)
Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS! (Turning 82 tomorrow.) :-))
Best
--schremmer
Howdy,

I'm not that far behind you!

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 21:37:31 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Schremmer Alain
Post by Herbert Schulz
I know you lagged behind a bit. :-)
Well, yes, and a bit more than a bit, and not just with the OS! (Turning 82 tomorrow.) :-))
Best
--schremmer
Howdy,
I'm not that far behind you!
Then you can understand me.

Somehow, my posts got up in the wrong order. How about using TextWrangler to change the color?

--s
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 22:22:27 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
Post by Herbert Schulz
Post by Herbert Schulz
Good Luck,
Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
Howdy,

I'm not sure but I'd guess it's not that easy. Also, The TeXShop project consists of many files rather than a monolithic file.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 22:29:25 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
I'm not sure but I'd guess it's not that easy. Also, The TeXShop project consists of many files rather than a monolithic file.
TextWrangler can cope with that. And I will keep a safe copy.

So, where can I find where the files are? (I would rather do it before my vision gets worse.)

--s
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-21 22:37:40 UTC

Go to the obtaining tab of <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/texshop.html> and there is a link for the last version 2 of TeXShop.

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-21 20:33:57 UTC
Post by Herbert Schulz
I think those colors are fixed.
On the other hand, it just occurred to me: if I knew where the source of TeXshop is, couldn't I just politely ask Text Wrangler to find "yellow" and replace it by say, "red"? Or would I thereby break something? (I have an extra copy anyway.)

Best
--schremmer

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Claus Gerhardt
2018-11-21 23:04:02 UTC
Dear Alain,

The color for highlighting can probably be changed by a hidden preference. On the page

https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/version.html <https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/version.html>

I found the following commands

Three hidden preferences were added, allowing users to change the yellow highlight color to another color, when used by inverse sync from the pdf window to the source text. This is helpful if the user has changed the default colors of the source window. The new items are
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncBlue 0.00

Hidden preference items were added to change all of the colors used in the new 2.38 additions by Yusude Terada: the temporary parenthesis color (default is magenta), the highlight color for text between matching parentheses (default is yellow), and the color of invisible characters when shown (default is orange).
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesGreen 0.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightBracesBlue 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop highlightContentBlue 0.00
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharGreen 0.50
defaults write TeXShop invisibleCharBlue 0.00

ReverseSync is from pdf to source. Thus, if this is what you want then can certainly change the color easily.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Claus Gerhardt
2018-11-21 23:14:34 UTC
Alain,

I just found that you can change the colors in TeXShop's preferences pane "Theme" - at least in version 4.xx, but probably also in former versions.

Claus

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq <http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/ <https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/>
TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/ <http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/>
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 00:13:56 UTC
Post by Claus Gerhardt
On the page
https://pages.uoregon.edu/koch/texshop/version.html
I found the following commands
Three hidden preferences were added, allowing users to change the yellow highlight color to another color, when used by inverse sync from the pdf window to the source text. This is helpful if the user has changed the default colors of the source window. The new items are
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncGreen 1.00
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncBlue 0.00
ReverseSyncRed is of course exactly what I would like but this was done in TeXShop 3.49 and I am still running 2.47. I just downloaded v3.59 from Koch's site, just in case, but it doesn't say if it would work under 10.6.8 and I don't know where to find out. (But I doubt it.)

In any case, I am very glad to find out that you are still out there kicking and I am still most grateful for all the help you have given me back then.

Very best
--a
Claus Gerhardt
2018-11-22 00:41:29 UTC
Alain,

just type
Post by Claus Gerhardt
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
in Terminal and hit return. Then restart TeXShop and you will find out.

Claus

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 01:55:27 UTC
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
Post by Claus Gerhardt
defaults write TeXShop ReverseSyncRed 1.00
in Terminal and hit return. Then restart TeXShop and you will find out.
Claus
What do I do if what I find out is that "my" TeXShop didn't like it and went on strike?

--s
Claus Gerhardt

Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 16:21:07 UTC
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Grateful for the straw, though.

Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.
Claus
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Claus Gerhardt
2018-11-22 16:43:11 UTC
Alain,

That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.

Claus

On 22. Nov 2018, at 17:21, Schremmer Alain <***@freemathtexts.org <mailto:***@freemathtexts.org>> wrote:

I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.

Grateful for the straw, though.

Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.
Claus
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 17:04:49 UTC
That's a min/max problem though and I have always hated them. Both in mathematics and in real life. :-))

On ebay I can find a 2012 mac mini with Mojave on it for about $300. I would probably get something a bit more recent but, for instance, do I really want Mojave. And what will my two screens work with? One is a cheap Raean but the other is a ... Cinema! How can I junk that? Etc, etc.

Anyway, I knew the odds were that 10.6.8 wouldn't last me the rest of my life. So, thanks again for the oh so discrete prodding.

--a
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.
Claus
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.
Grateful for the straw, though.
Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.
Claus
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Themis Matsoukas
2018-11-22 17:07:34 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
, do I really want Mojave.
You can always downgrade to an older OS as long as the machine is old enough to run it.

Themis

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 17:19:06 UTC
Post by Themis Matsoukas
Post by Schremmer Alain
, do I really want Mojave.
You can always downgrade to an older OS as long as the machine is old enough to run it.
Themis
I thought that downgrading to an older OS was iffy at best. But I wouldn't need it: plenty of old minis on ebay with you name your OS already installed.

So, my main min/max problem is what OS? Because I have old aps, like Picasa, img2track and others that almost certainly wouldn't work on Mojave. On the other hand there are a couple of aps I would like but that won't run on 10.6.8. There probably is a solution but ... I hate min/max problems.

What a pain progress can be.

Best
--schremmer
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Claus Gerhardt
2018-11-22 17:37:46 UTC
There are cheap adapters for the displays and you certainly could use your old Cinema display. The new Mac minis are very nice machines and tomorrow is Black Friday. I guess for your old software that wouldn't run on Mojave there will exist current alternatives.

Claus

Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.
Claus
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.
Grateful for the straw, though.
Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.
Claus
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/>
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 19:48:16 UTC
I already had to get an adapter for my Cinema and it might even still work. The old apps are a bit more of a problem because there are the old files. I hated iphoto but when I finally succeeded in getting rid of it, it was a nightmare that I hope a new app can help me solve.

Maybe the solution would be to keep the old set up on the network and get a brand new one, complete with Mojave and a new latex installation.

--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.
Claus
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.
Grateful for the straw, though.
Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
From what I have learnt so far your version 2.xx will simply ignore the command while version 3.49 will recognize it. Another question is what if you don't like red? Since you can mix the three colors red, blue green by changing their respective values from 0.00 to 1.00 you can create any color you want, e.g. entering both the offered commands for red and green will result in yellow.
Claus
Post by Claus Gerhardt
just type
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Herbert Schulz
2018-11-22 20:27:29 UTC
Post by Schremmer Alain
Maybe the solution would be to keep the old set up on the network and get a brand new one, complete with Mojave and a new latex installation.
--schremmer
Howdy,

My eyes deceive me! :-)

List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
Schremmer Alain
2018-11-22 20:55:27 UTC
Wow, hold your horses, I said "Maybe"

--s
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/

Peter Teeson
2018-11-22 18:54:11 UTC
Alain:

Also being an octogenarian I totally understand! My main machine is an early 2009 Mac Pro Desktop with beautiful 30” Cinema Display from the days prior to retirement.
Lots of HD and partitioned so I can boot into all macOS’ from 10.6 Snow Leopard up to and including 10.12 Sierra.
These days I live in Yosemite 10.10.5.

Absolutely no intention of going higher than Sierra because of the fear of bricking the machine with the Apple enforced firmware updates.
Although I did bump the 4,1 firmware to 5,1thus making it look like a later machine. Haven’t sweated that much in years
.

The best of luck in finding a suitable machine for you use
..

respect

Peter
Post by Claus Gerhardt
Alain,
That's a very wise decision. I had been tempted to suggest it myself.
Claus
I am afraid this will have been the straw that broke the camel's back: I am going to get a new old mac mini. I don't relish the idea though because of all the time I am going to have to waste checking what's compatible, what's not, etc. Decisions, decisions.
Grateful for the straw, though.
Best
--schremmer
Post by Claus Gerhardt
[...]